What the hell is Legend of Grimrock? If you already know, skip the following paragraph.
Legend of Grimrock (developed by Almost Human Games) is a dungeon crawling role playing game with an oldschool heart but a modern execution. It's inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, and Ultima Underworld. It brings back the oldschool challenge with highly tactical real-time combat and grid-based movement, devious hidden switches and secrets, as well as deadly traps and horrible monsters.
Here's a few screenshots:
This is some plantlike thing called a Herder. My guess is it doesn't need sunlight to thrive.
Here's a Tunnel Ogre. Wazzzup! *crunch* Owww...
I wonder if these cloaked statues would come alive and attack?
A tiny peek at the automap. There's an option to turn it off, and use a supplied printable graph paper.
Death by Undead Soldiers!
What I'm hoping is that LoG, and Wasteland 2, will bring a resurgence of old-school gameplay. We need a return to challenging, immersive games. Games that made you think and strategize.
Anyway, what did I get for pre-ordering? I immediately got the following goodies:
• A manual. Not too long, but it includes: An introductory story; some info on character generation, movement and combat; some spell rune descriptions; and a bestiary, with only five creatures listed. There are no specific items or spells listed here. That's just fine with me, as I prefer to discover these things for myself.
• A world map. This must be for mere flavor, since you spend all your time in a dungeon. It does tie in with the intro story in the manual.
• Graph paper, for those who prefer to turn off the automap and go mapping out dungeon levels. I've had some fun with that in the past, but if given a choice, I'd rather use the automap.
• A set of three wallpapers, at four different resolutions.
• A photo of the Almost Human Games staff.
• A whole bunch of art photos, such as from the intro cinematic, sketches, monsters, and the default player characters.
• Last but not least, an MP3 of the main theme, by Stakula. I love this song. It's so mysterious and majestic.
Grimrock graph paper!
You can pre-order now from gog.com (DRM free!), or order it on release day from Steam. (No, there is no pre-order on Steam. Yes, there will be achievements.) Or, better yet, order directly from the developer, which supports their efforts to a higher degree, and gives them the needed cash to create more games like this, and possibly expansions or other DLCs for Legend of Grimrock!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlmostHumanGames
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/grimrockgame